2013 Academic Improvement Awards
The 2013 Academic Improvement Awards honor 125 schools for substantial gains in performance over the last several years. The awards range across all levels from schools where 18 percent of the students are meeting the Illinois Learning Standards to schools where 94 percent are meeting standards. The median state test score for these schools was 62 percent, which is above the state average.
Located throughout the state, the award winners represent every type of school — large and small; elementary, middle, and high schools; both regular and charter schools; all funding levels; urban, suburban, and rural; and low performing and high performing. They demonstrate that exemplary progress is possible at every level and can be sustained.
See Billman, Mission Possible, for Illinois principals' stories on how they lead dramatic gains in academic performance.
FACTS ABOUT 2013 ACADEMIC IMPROVEMENT AWARDS
Total Number by Year
Low-Income Enrollment ("Low-income" is designated by eligibility for free or reduced lunch.)
- 77 schools enroll more than 50 percent low-income students.
- 33 schools enroll 25-50 percent low-income students.
- 15 schools enroll 0-25 percent low-income students.
Geographic Distribution of 125 Academic Improvement Awards
Schools that continue to improve at least 7.5 percent in performance year after year deserve a special round of applause. One school, Gregory Elementary in Chicago won for the fifth time. Six schools, all from Chicago, won for a fourth time.
- Clark G R Elementary School
- Coonley Elementary School
- Faraday Elementary School
- White Career Academy Elementary School
- Ward L Elementary School
- West Park Elementary Academy
- Eight schools earned both Spotlight Schools and Academic Improvement Awards.
- Aroma Park Primary School, Aroma Park
- Clark GR Elementary School, Chicago
- Honeywell Elementary School, Hoopeston
- Medora Elementary School, Medora
- Maple Grove Elementary School, Metropolis
- Northwestern Junior High School, Palmyra
- Tampico Elementary School, Tampico
- Deland-Weldon Middle School, Weldon
Districts with 3 or More Improvement Awards in 2013